The quick way to repair charred carpet
A short while ago, I described fixing a burnt carpet without the fuss. Recently I visited a customer who had burn marks on her carpet, though the carpet wasn’t actually burnt. It was simply charred, where she had dropped a cigarette. I showed my customer a simple but effective way to clean the charring before making a swift repair.
Seven steps to getting a burn mark out of carpet
- Use a small, sharp pair of scissors to trim burned fibers. If you don’t have a small pair of scissors, a razor blade will do the job equally well. If your carpet is natural fiber, a burn will turn the fibers to dust. In this case, simply brush the burnt fibers away using the back of a knife (this might be enough to fluff up the remaining fibers and make the burn invisible. If it is, congratulations, you don’t need to do anymore!).
- Mix a solution of one part of hydrogen peroxide to five parts of water.
- Apply the solution to the burn mark. This should make it fade. Only apply to the burnt area. For small burns, use a brush for accuracy.
- Leave for 10 to 15 minutes, and use a paper towel or clean cloth to blot any excess solution away. Once you have done this, leave the carpet to dry completely. Once dry, if the burn mark is gone, move on to the next step. If not, repeat the clean with the hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Use steel wool to carefully scrub the burn mark, and vacuum.
- From a hidden area of the carpet (perhaps near the baseboard or from under a cupboard), snip a few fibers. Only take fibers from the top of the carpet, and not from the base.
- Use craft glue to fill the burn mark, and carefully place the fibers in the glue. This is a tricky operation, so take your time!
Save some carpet!
If you’re a smoker or think your carpet might suffer a burn at some time, do yourself a favor and keep a few offcuts of a new carpet when it is fitted. It’s much easier to cut a piece of carpet and fit it rather than fiddle with fibers from under a wardrobe!
Burnt carpets are usually easy to repair, unless the burn is on the larger side. If that is the case, don’t hesitate to contact Porter’s Cleaning. We’ll be happy to provide guidance and a quote for professional repair.